Kissing the Muse
A Memoir & Guide for Creative Practice
“...to point with a trembling finger in the RIGHT direction is something only a fool would take upon himself.”
- Hunter S. Thompson
“ ‘Scuse me, while I kiss the sky.”
- Jimmy Hendrix
“I am my own muse. I am the subject I know best. The subject I want to know better.”
- Frida Kahlo
“We meet ourselves time and again
in a thousand disguises on the path of life.”
- C.G. Jung
When a secret explodes like a bomb in her marriage, a disillusioned art teacher embarks on a real-life creative adventure with her inner muse, and pens a whimsical self-help book in the process.
From America to Africa, England to Amsterdam, she follows her heart’s call to wander wildly in a desperate attempt to mend it. Through her self-prescribed “muse-kissing” remedies and the help of an English doctor, she finds the courage to recreate herself and falls in love along the way.
A delightfully different creative practice for doers and dreamers alike, Kissing the Muse playfully navigates the promise and pitfalls of chasing your passions when life throws a wrench in your plans.
Through twelve guided “kissing practices” in transformative art-making and expressive writing, readers embark on a parallel journey of self-discovery and meet a dozen distinct muses along the way. Each muse brings her own wisdom and guidance to help you:
• Define and align with your heartfelt values
• Hear and respond to your creative call
• Confront your fears and resistance
• Find and embrace mentors and magic
• Make and keep commitments to yourself
• Overcome obstacles and develop fresh insight
• Explore and navigate the unknown
• Survive your “ordeal” and “tame your dragon”
• Rejuvenate faith, forgive, and find hope
• Determine action with your head and heart
• Transform grief and pain into compassion
• Discover and share your creative elixir
Written for the next generation of self-empowering women; Elizabeth Gilbert’s Eat, Pray, Love meets Julia Cameron’s
The Artist’s Way in this colorful, true narrative and indispensable guidebook for anyone who has ever been lost, blocked, or broken-hearted, and didn’t let it stand in the way.